That's All She Wrote

Commentator Cathy Alger wrote the pieces on this blog and recorded them for public radio WFPL, 89.3 FM in Louisville, Kentucky. All material is copyrighted and retains all rights. It cannot be reproduced or copied without permission of the author.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kentucky, United States
Email Me
My daily blog: Lifetime Learning

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Over the Coals - July 19, 2006

My husband went to the super-hardware store for three screws – when he returned, he had a large box in the back of the truck. It seems while scanning the shelves in the hardware department, he came across the grill of his dreams.

It took both of us to unload it from the truck, because it weighed so much.
It is all stainless steel with sharp edges, so I envisioned it slicing right through the palms of my hands. From the main body, two wings jutted out to the sides. "Can't it just fly itself up to the deck?" I asked. It has about the same number of controls as a small engine plane and it's own fuel supply.I won't bore you with the cost of the thing, but suffice it to say that I could've replaced my refrigerator that is being held together with packing tape and has limped along for 15 years now. "I knew you'd say that," he laughed. Well, how could I not? I suppose the grill is a symbol of having arrived in the male kingdom.

After buying the grill, he of course needed the associated cooking instruments. We now have a spatula with a knife built into its side, so you can use it to butcher the cow, chop the meat and then just flip it right on the grill. And of course, what grill would be complete without a hot chili pepper holder and tongs so large they take two hands to use?
So, I am retiring from cooking meat at least. We now have a summer kitchen, complete with a burner, rotisserie, and grill. This is good, because the back burner of my stove doesn't work anymore and sometimes the oven turns off mid-bake. (It displays an F2 error that I don't even want to decode in case the stove is cussing at me.) I'll get a lot of mileage out of this purchase!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home